What's new

so what are you thinking right now?

If your lucky enough to go on vacation...you are lucky enough

Signed, no vacation in 3 years :surrender:

Touche! :lol:

If you're lucky enough to have a fancy phone, you're lucky enough so shup. :surrender:

Signed,
Tracfone owner

Hey Tracfone Owner

Why not come and join us in the new world and get a smartphone?

Signed,
BlackBerry user and LOVER :)

If my DH switches jobs I'm going to need a nanny... How much do they cost and where do I find a good one? I'm pretty sure I can't pay with nature valley granola bars... Ack!

What type of nanny?

Live in?
Housework?
Cooking?
Transport kids?
Ages of kids?

A good nanny can be hard to find and big money. Be careful who you trust your kids with.

Hey Tracfone Owner

Why not come and join us in the new world and get a smartphone?

Signed,
BlackBerry user and LOVER :)

Why? cuz then I'd have to pay for it, and for a data plan, silly. I'd rather have the $720 - $1000 a year to spend on a couple weekend getaways rather than a monthly cell service plan.

So we use T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go plan. We don't use our cell phones a lot. Sometimes there's a bonus offer on tmobile.com where you buy the phone and get a free phone card, so I buy the phone, sell the phone to someone who doesn't understand how this works (ebay or CL), and keep the card. One card a year tops off the account and extends it for 365 days. For virtually free (but not unlimited) service, I use restraint in calling people unless it's an emergency.

If I had an Android, I could use my SIM card in, then I could at least play with it in places with free wi-fi. But I can't bring myself to pay for it. Buy me one? :foryou:

What type of nanny?

Live in?
Housework?
Cooking?
Transport kids?
Ages of kids?

A good nanny can be hard to find and big money. Be careful who you trust your kids with.

My kids are in daycare now because I like the controlled setting. I'm worried about them being there too long and thought a nanny might be a better option. I am really nervous about trusting someone.

2 kids, live out, light cooking/preparing lunch, no housework, maybe transportation to preschool. Online I've seen a wide range of hourly/weekly rates but some seem just crazy. It might be too much. I wonder how much daycare teachers make... Maybe I could entice one away...

If my DH switches jobs I'm going to need a nanny... How much do they cost and where do I find a good one? I'm pretty sure I can't pay with nature valley granola bars... Ack!

My husband's second cousin is a nanny, she take cares of one 2 1/2 years old Mon-Fri, 8 a.m - 5p.m., 5 and 7 years old after school. Walk them home from school, get them snack etc. She doesn't have to do housework(her employer has a cleaner who cleans and does laundry!)

She took some child care courses at the community college. She is 20, not very academically inclined, but is a good natured, caring and responsible girl. This is her first nanny job, so she doesn't really ask for much. I think they paid her $300/week.

My husband's second cousin is a nanny, she take cares of one 2 1/2 years old Mon-Fri, 8 a.m - 5p.m., 5 and 7 years old after school. Walk them home from school, get them snack etc. She doesn't have to do housework(her employer has a cleaner who cleans and does laundry!)

She took some child care courses at the community college. She is 20, not very academically inclined, but is a good natured, caring and responsible girl. This is her first nanny job, so she doesn't really ask for much. I think they paid her $300/week.

$300 is a steal!!

$300 is a steal!!

I think so too. But we are in the boone-docks. :)

She has a hard time finding a job, so she is pretty happy the employer is willing to give her a chance. She is very introvert and we all suspect she is probably high functioning autistic (never diagnosed) because it kind of runs in her mom's family.

Her employer (the wife) owns and runs a Montessori school. So she is hoping once the little girl is old enough to go to pre school, she will be hired as an assistant at the school in future.

My kids are in daycare now because I like the controlled setting. I'm worried about them being there too long and thought a nanny might be a better option. I am really nervous about trusting someone.

2 kids, live out, light cooking/preparing lunch, no housework, maybe transportation to preschool. Online I've seen a wide range of hourly/weekly rates but some seem just crazy. It might be too much. I wonder how much daycare teachers make... Maybe I could entice one away...

As a daycare teacher I'll tell you we don't make enough. Many stay not so much for the pay but benefits and hugh discount on their kids tuition.

Most centers fingerprint all their staff, CPR and first aid training. Please keep those in mind. Best of luck to you on your search. If you have a college nearby you might find someone taking a semester or 2 off and looking for a real life experience.

If you need a live-in nanny, try a cultural au pair. I believe it averages out to about $360 a week.

My bro & SIL used au pairs for 4 years, when the kids were very young. The main problems were the au pairs were only allowed to work 30 or 45 hrs per week, depending upon which program they were hired from. They were screened, trained in childcare, & completely fluent in English. Two were from Sweden, two from Germany. They were taking a gap year to make some money, and experience America before continuing their college studies, majoring in preschool education.

Not sure if this is the agency they used: http://www.aupairinamerica.com

My neighbor is a nanny in our town. She watches 2 children ages 8 and 6 for the summer, she is paid $450 a week and works Mon-Thurs 8a-6p and Fri 8a-1p. She is given use of a car and she is provided with a pool pass to our local pool.

No housework and is provided money for lunches out and all activities. This is her second summer working for this family.

Why? cuz then I'd have to pay for it, and for a data plan, silly. I'd rather have the $720 - $1000 a year to spend on a couple weekend getaways rather than a monthly cell service plan.

So we use T-Mobile's pay-as-you-go plan. We don't use our cell phones a lot. Sometimes there's a bonus offer on tmobile.com where you buy the phone and get a free phone card, so I buy the phone, sell the phone to someone who doesn't understand how this works (ebay or CL), and keep the card. One card a year tops off the account and extends it for 365 days. For virtually free (but not unlimited) service, I use restraint in calling people unless it's an emergency.

If I had an Android, I could use my SIM card in, then I could at least play with it in places with free wi-fi. But I can't bring myself to pay for it. Buy me one? :foryou:

I pay $47 a month and to me it is worth every penny. I have a lot of down time. Waiting for pickup from school and sitting at the parks and playland. Plus it keeps me in touch with most of my friends who work. It has become my lifeline.

KG you are more than welcome to my BlackBerry when I get another one. Probably in the fall. :girl:

Commutes are so brutal I'd need someone who could do longer hours. My DH is super flexible now but that would change. I already have enough guilt about working... But I am hoping that if things work out I could eventually be more flexible. UGH!

Commutes are so brutal I'd need someone who could do longer hours. My DH is super flexible now but that would change. I already have enough guilt about working... But I am hoping that if things work out I could eventually be more flexible. UGH!

What area are from? My neighbor is a college student at Wheaton College. I have lots of friends that get babysitters from the college.

I would probably go thru an agency unless I knew the nanny personally.

Sign me up :lol:

My neighbor is a nanny in our town. She watches 2 children ages 8 and 6 for the summer, she is paid $450 a week and works Mon-Thurs 8a-6p and Fri 8a-1p. She is given use of a car and she is provided with a pool pass to our local pool.

No housework and is provided money for lunches out and all activities. This is her second summer working for this family.

I'm thinking WTF is wrong with Redbox? I ordered and paid for a movie for DD8 because DD10 is at a sleepover.
I ordered Beverly Hills Chichuaua 2 - and got Scarecrow Slayer?
Yea - I don't think so!
Been on the phone over 5 minutes waiting for them to tell me they're going to credit my card.:hurt:

I pay $47 a month and to me it is worth every penny. I have a lot of down time. Waiting for pickup from school and sitting at the parks and playland. Plus it keeps me in touch with most of my friends who work. It has become my lifeline.

KG you are more than welcome to my BlackBerry when I get another one. Probably in the fall. :girl:

Nice that you have that option and I'm not knocking smartphones in any way. I would love an Android myself! I was just answering your question why some of us don't have smartphones -- as for DH and I, we don't have a ton of $ so we choose to spend what we have in other ways.

Back