What's new

The 411 on origin of SC letters of intent

I find it very suspicious that anyone would refuse to play any SC out of fear of, or hassle of, legal B.S. if they had the corresponding discs for the 1:1 ratio. I would think that anyone with 2 brain cells would agree but then again, it is only my opinion.

What written guarantee do you have that makes you immune to any future SC intrusion or error? Could they not simly change their mind? Are they pre-screening their targets to make sure you're not working at one of them? If your bar gets a letter anyway and simply decides that despite your "compliance" they would still prefer too bag karaoke altogether would that change your opinion?

It seems to me that there are at least two ways to minimize any exposure to a SC action - yours is but one.

However, I will tell you this, since it is suspicious to me, I would report such a KJ/Venue who all of a sudden removed all their computerized SC content to Chartbuster & Stellar if the two remaining manufacturers content was still being used by that KJ/Venue. I haven't yet observed some of the usual suspects in my area doing this yet but if they do, the whistle will be blown & I am extremely happy to do so.

And you admit - this is based on your suspicious and hopefull opinion and not any evidentiary substance? What incentive is there then for either manufcaturer to pursue your lead? Wouldn't any letter or threat they send simply be a fishing expedition?

It reminds me of the Twilight Zone episodes where everyone was pointing fingers at their neighbors when strange thing started happening on Maple Street...all of a sudden, if there was going to be an accusation of Martians, then everyone was going to point the finger at everyone else. Eventually chaos broke loose and they all started stoning each other...turned our not a one of them was a martian, but they destroyed each other with their accusations and mistrust.

Are you so willing to sell your neighbor out without any substantiated evidence and let them deal with the fallout, potentially destroying the business of someone who might be totally legit?

Might want to work on the current business model a bit....:winkpill:

Actually, the current business model is great - it is working largely as planned. Sales of the new Licensed Gem Series is up and settlements from pirates (who have either been sued directly or sent the letter of our Notice of Intent to sue) are also going well. I anticipated that the shipment of disc sets from settlements would be about equal to those from "new" licensees, but actually it's more like 40/60, so word must be getting out that it's smarter to come clean and get licensed content rather than wait to be sued.

Also, we have reports from the field that "suspected" pirates are simply closing up shop and fading into the night, opening up new opportunities for legal hosts. We have some hosts report that they have added new shows AND ARE BEING ACTIVELY SOLICITED by bars to come host at their locations. One host yesterday who went from one show a week to three is looking to license another set because he has requests from two new bars for the weekend. He stated the reason he was contacted was because they KNEW he was legal and the sound quality of his new GEM series MP3G was so much better than their previous hosts (even though those guys had Sound Choice (I can only conclude they were probably lower quality ripped files. ))

Given that our experience base and feedback is much broader than the negative feedback from the anti-SC "gang" here, we are going to continue on our present course and continue to pursue suspected pirates in the manner we have been. And we plan to continue to support our loyal customers (i.e., those who buy from us) by using our best effrots to level the playing field in their area and develop sufficient revenues (and potential buyers) in order to profitably release new products.

I am glad to hear things are going well.....I look forward to the day Sound Choice starts producing current music again :)

Thank you for all you are doing, and all that you will do up the road. You've onlybeen in a handfull of states, and there are a lot more to go. I wish you well in your pursuit of illegal hosts and shows.

And again, all you "legitl" karaoke operators out there that are taking all of your Sound Choice music out of your books and hard drives, I'm still looking to buy.......anyone?

Yeah, I thought so.

Thank you for all you are doing, and all that you will do up the road. You've onlybeen in a handfull of states, and there are a lot more to go. I wish you well in your pursuit of illegal hosts and shows.

And again, all you "legitl" karaoke operators out there that are taking all of your Sound Choice music out of your books and hard drives, I'm still looking to buy.......anyone?

Yeah, I thought so.

very funny....

Actually, the current business model is great - it is working largely as planned. ....settlements from pirates are also going well. I anticipated that the shipment of disc sets from settlements would be about equal to those from "new" licensees,

Are you now publicly admitting a lack of actual "damages" and instead citing the actions as a simple coercive sales ploy?

On another note, without being threatened - I just bought another copy of the entire DK millenium sereies, this time on SCDG for only $129. (less than 1/10 the cost of my first two Millenium CD+G sets, and less than 1/20 the cost of my original DK series, and only what(?) compared to the GEM series?

I also picked up a new Chartbuster set for $79.

I'm just sayin' ...enjoy it while it lasts. :)

And again, all you "legitl" karaoke operators out there taking Sound Choice out of your books and hard drives, I'm still looking to buy.......anyone?

Yeah, I thought so.

You snooze you lose...Ebay.

Not looking for the DK Millenium series with that rediculous pan flute. I'm looking for Sound Choice quality. Enjoy your pan flute.

Not looking for the DK Millenium series with that rediculous pan flute. I'm looking for Sound Choice quality. Enjoy your pan flute.

Then rent the Gem Series.... at .067 cents per song, it's better than ebay isn't it?

1) If you can hear the "flute" while singing, you're singing out of tune.... It's there to help new or inexperienced singers. DK was the the Gold Standard before being out-marketed by SC. They are better quality, and the only discs specifically manufactured with the amateur singer in mind. The good singers cover it up and it's unnoticed, and the...um....less talented singers appreciate it.

2) Too bad you're only looking for SC quality, since most of the experienced folks consider Chartbuster better for country, Pocket better for big band and show tunes, MM better for oldies and Doo-Wop, Zoom better for Pop, etc...

Don't get me wrong- Sound Choice quality is definitely way up there- but not worth praying to......:winkpill:

I always found that Soundchoice is really good for Rock, Hard Rock and whatnot, although their Heavy Metal pretty much sucks, too bad they are one of the only I found who offer them. Luckily as most of us can admit, Heavy Metal is rarely sung anyhow.

Joe,

There is no way that your statement can hold water unless you have compared the songs side by side. Does DK have some songs that work Yes they do but they also have a large number of pure stinkers as well, Is every song on SC perfect, not by a long shot there are some that the lyric swipes are so far off they are unsingable (if you are singing to the swipes) I have also experienced some SC songs that if it hadn't been for the title coming up on the screen you wouldn't have known what song it was. MM for the oldies is at best hit and miss, with the majority being misses.

Do some comparisions before you make a blanket statement.

I just compared the DK version of "Travelin Man" DK04-18 to SC7504-12 to the origional version by Ricky Nelson on a scale of 1-10 DK may hit a 4 and SC hits around an 8, CBE's version is about an 8 as well. I don't have it on MM.

Comparing "Can't Help Falling In Love" by Elvis, I will list the versions in order of singability and quality (closest to the origional song) of the music PI, SC, DK, with MM coming in a distant last.

Unless you are comparing the songs side by side and against the origional tune there is simply no way you can make a statement about any particular brand being better on any particular genre. Of course there are songs I can't compare side by side as well like Lee Roy Parenell's "Take These Chains From My Heart" because I only have it on Sound Choice, since it is the only version I know can I make the statement that it is the best version out there? The same goes for for anyone if they don't have the SC version to comapre a song to, then it is easy to say that the version that they have is "the best", but it doesn't make it true!

Thunder,

It is a generalization by its very nature. I happen to agree that SC seems to "overall", IMHO, do a better job with rock. CB seems to have the edge with Country. DK seems pretty good with classic rock (long version of "Wanted Dead or Alive" comes to mind). <--- don't fault me for calling Bon Jovi classic rock :) MM is oldies to me except for some rare tracks like "New Orleans is Sinking" by the Tragically Hip. I find it interesting that other KJ's have similar opinions. When given a choice of manufacturers to fill a singer's request, how do you choose? Especially if you're not familiar with the song, or haven't done the comparison prior to receiving said request.

Thunder,

It is a generalization by its very nature. I happen to agree that SC seems to "overall", IMHO, do a better job with rock. CB seems to have the edge with Country. DK seems pretty good with classic rock (long version of "Wanted Dead or Alive" comes to mind). <--- don't fault me for calling Bon Jovi classic rock :) MM is oldies to me except for some rare tracks like "New Orleans is Sinking" by the Tragically Hip. I find it interesting that other KJ's have similar opinions. When given a choice of manufacturers to fill a singer's request, how do you choose? Especially if you're not familiar with the song, or haven't done the comparison prior to receiving said request.

If it is a song I am not familar with I go straight to SC if it is a new song I look at Stellar first, from that point I look to whatever, it is available on.

Compare SC7511-01 to DK64-05 and tell me honestly which version is closer to the origional. Don't even bother with the MH version it is a waste of time!

The synth melody line in the DK versions are neither needed or wanted and ruin the song, but all of that aside if compared with the origional version of Wanted SC is still clearly the best version available that I have heard (I have)

Now sadly I must leave you guys for a few hours!:smilepill:

1) If you can hear the "flute" while singing, you're singing out of tune.... It's there to help new or inexperienced singers. DK was the the Gold Standard before being out-marketed by SC. They are better quality, and the only discs specifically manufactured with the amateur singer in mind. The good singers cover it up and it's unnoticed, and the...um....less talented singers appreciate it.

2) Too bad you're only looking for SC quality, since most of the experienced folks consider Chartbuster better for country, Pocket better for big band and show tunes, MM better for oldies and Doo-Wop, Zoom better for Pop, etc...

Don't get me wrong- Sound Choice quality is definitely way up there- but not worth praying to......:winkpill:

In response to your statement #2, I have to agree to a point. CB is my choice for country, and PS is my choice for big band and show tunes. The MM doo wop set is amazing. But like Thunder, I prefer SC to most other music. I had the complete 1-99 DK set many years ago, but sold it to a friend, and although DK had some really great arrangements, I don't miss them at all.

BTW, still hopeing to see you in Charlotte.

Joe,

There is no way that your statement can hold water unless you have compared the songs side by side.!

I have, and disagree- but of course all of this is subjective.

However, though I like DK, the rest of my statement regarding CB, MM, Zoom, Pocket, etc, is something that almost every host I've ever met agrees with, ESPECIALLY the superiority of CB over SC in the country genre.

BTW, in regard to your Elvis statement- and I've said this before- SC absolutely bottoms the list when it comes to Elvis. Backstage would do a better job. Absolutely and consistantly AWFUL. The worst may be Devil In Disguise. I don't think even Elvis could sing the SC version....

Though I love MM for Do-Wop, when it comes to Elvis it's Chartbuster and Pocket Songs, and maybe the old Top Tunes TT-028 disc, which is terrific.

I have, and disagree- but of course all of this is subjective.

However, though I like DK, the rest of my statement regarding CB, MM, Zoom, Pocket, etc, is something that almost every host I've ever met agrees with, ESPECIALLY the superiority of CB over SC in the country genre.

BTW, in regard to your Elvis statement- and I've said this before- SC absolutely bottoms the list when it comes to Elvis. Backstage would do a better job. Absolutely and consistantly AWFUL. The worst may be Devil In Disguise. I don't think even Elvis could sing the SC version....

I agree when it comes to Elvis and I have an impersonator come in weekly in full get up. He always wants the MM versions.
107_0035.jpg

Back