What's new

The 411 on origin of SC letters of intent

Are you now publicly admitting a lack of actual "damages" and instead citing the actions as a simple coercive sales ploy?

On another note, without being threatened - I just bought another copy of the entire DK millenium sereies, this time on SCDG for only $129. (less than 1/10 the cost of my first two Millenium CD+G sets, and less than 1/20 the cost of my original DK series, and only what(?) compared to the GEM series?

I'm just sayin' ...enjoy it while it lasts. :)

All illegally produced and illegally distributed via East Coast Karaoke. I have checked with Eric Brown (who last held the legal rights to the distribution of DKK product) and he has confirmed that all the DKK on SCDG is totally illegal. So, go ahead and enjoy your pirated material.

All illegally produced and illegally distributed via East Coast Karaoke. I have checked with Eric Brown (who last held the legal rights to the distribution of DKK product) and he has confirmed that all the DKK on SCDG is totally illegal. So, go ahead and enjoy your pirated material.

Right. It certainly is illegal. So why don't YOU sue them? They do compete with YOU right? Isn't that "unfair comptetion?" Or are YOU ignoring it because there's no money in it for YOU?

Just as every single track you ever sold to unsuspecting KJ's was perfectly licensed as well?....

Are you Mr. Kettle, or is it Mr. Pot?

Right. It certainly is illegal. So why don't YOU sue them? They do compete with YOU right? Isn't that "unfair comptetion?" Or are YOU ignoring it because there's no money in it for YOU?

Just as every single track you ever sold to unsuspecting KJ's was perfectly licensed as well?....

Are you Mr. Kettle, or is it Mr. Pot?

Chip,

I am sure they would sue if the product being sold belonged to Sound Choice, but it doesn't! Perhaps the owner of DK will do so!:biggrinpill:

Actually, I think what Chip is referring to is an unfair competition suit, not a suit as to actual ownership of the discs in question.

Actually, I think what Chip is referring to is an unfair competition suit, not a suit as to actual ownership of the discs in question.

Actually I think Chip is doing what you suggested be stopped but I don't know if that was his intent or not!:biggrinpill:

Actually I think Chip is doing what you suggested be stopped but I don't know if that was his intent or not!:biggrinpill:
You could very well be right,I don't know, but I chose to see it in a different light, which is why I posted what I did!
Nonetheless, it is an interesting question.
I wonder why SC doesn't file suit for unfair competition.
Care to fill us in, Kurt?

Anyone ordered a Custom from the SC affiliate in Australia lately? Bet not or they would know why Kurt isn't suing DK.

Diafel is correct. SC should be suing for unfair competition .

You are so transparent.
You see - I don't care who the last holder of a right was - it only matters who holds them right now, and are they exclusive. Conspicuoulsy, I don't see Eric Brown or you laying any such claim to that material. So, he knows exactly who is producing and distributing it - yet, he hasn't taken any action to hault it perhaps, because he has no such rights?

You both know where to find me.

You are so transparent.
You see - I don't care who the last holder of a right was - it only matters who holds them right now, and are they exclusive. Conspicuoulsy, I don't see Eric Brown or you laying any such claim to that material. So, he knows exactly who is producing and distributing it - yet, he hasn't taken any action to hault it perhaps, because he has no such rights?

BINGO! IT's called "Lack of STANDING" - only DKK or the publishers can sue for the illegal copies of their recordings and trademarks that are being replicated and sold. Sound Choice has no "ownership" or rights in any of the DKK content at this time.

In regards, to "unfair competition" - most states have very weak laws in this regards and other than creating a nuisance it's difficult to pursue much of a case. Isn't that why there aren't a bunch of KJs suing each other over the "unfair" competition created by Pirate hosts?

You could very well be right,I don't know, but I chose to see it in a different light, which is why I posted what I did!
Nonetheless, it is an interesting question.
I wonder why SC doesn't file suit for unfair competition.
Care to fill us in, Kurt?

I got lost in the string - who is it you want me to sue and for what reason? DKK for the illegal tracks that are being sold? Or the producer of the illegal DKK tracks? As I stated in the post above, "unfair competition " laws vary by state and are generally very weak.

You are so transparent.

You both know where to find me.
Actually, I believe in another post (I don't recall exactly where it is), Kurt mentioned that no one actually knows WHO currently holds the rights, just that Eric Brown was the last KNOWN holder of the rights, so it's all a moot point, isn't it? For all you know, the person selling them could actually own the rights!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty much what I got from the other post.

I got lost in the string - who is it you want me to sue and for what reason? DKK for the illegal tracks that are being sold? Or the producer of the illegal DKK tracks? As I stated in the post above, "unfair competition " laws vary by state and are generally very weak.
You actually answered my question in your previous post. The laws on unfair competition are too weak. Fair enough.
My thought was to sue the producer of the illegal tracks of course!

Anyone ordered a Custom from the SC affiliate in Australia lately? Bet not or they would know why Kurt isn't suing DK.

I think there might be some confusion here. The site, that you are referring to, I presume is the PROBURN site and Sound Choice has absolutely nothing to do with that site. The content made available for Custom CDG from that site is all licensed by Easy Karaoke out of the UK from the various karaoke companies. The music companies have all licensed the content through MCPS in the UK and each track recorded is registered and reported to MCPS and to the content companies. I would presume (and feel fairly confident)that DKK has an agreement with Easy Karaoke to have their content in the ProBurn system and I feel confident that Easy is doing accurate reporting to both MCPS and the content companies based on my contacts in MCPS.

Again, I am not sure why there is any expectation as to why Sound Choice should be suing DKK or speculation as to why we are not, especially based on the ProBurn system in Australia.

Rumor is you (Sound Choice) are trying to get the rights to the D.K. library before going into Chicago area. Is that true?

I think going into a large city like that would really get you the positive exposure you need.

Actually, I believe in another post (I don't recall exactly where it is), Kurt mentioned that no one actually knows WHO currently holds the rights, just that Eric Brown was the last KNOWN holder of the rights, so it's all a moot point, isn't it? For all you know, the person selling them could actually own the rights!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty much what I got from the other post.

Actually Eric Brown and his company, Song Factory, owned the inventory that DKK had licensed and produced in the US (note in my previous post I said he had the rights to the DISTRIBUTION of the DKK product - they made him a deal on the inventory when they pulled out of the US Market). When the inventory was sold through, it was too costly to relicense with the US Publishers and the sales did not justify him trying to make more. Eric still has good relations with the principals at DKK and he assures me that they have not licensed anyone to make the product in any format here in the US. Further, the US publishers have not been paid either. If you want to ask why DKK (or the US publishers) are not pursuing the responsible parties for the production and sales of it, I can't answer - but obviously we wish they would do something about it. And they might some day.

Rumor is you (Sound Choice) are trying to get the rights to the D.K. library before going into Chicago area. Is that true?

I think going into a large city like that would really get you the positive exposure you need.

Good rumor. You never know what might be possible. :yespill: KIAA has a list of over 300 karaoke bars in Chicago that brochures were previously mailed to. Maybe it will be the first large city where CB, SC and Stellar all take joint actions.

Actually Eric Brown and his company, Song Factory, owned the inventory that DKK had licensed and produced in the US (note in my previous post I said he had the rights to the DISTRIBUTION of the DKK product - they made him a deal on the inventory when they pulled out of the US Market). When the inventory was sold through, it was too costly to relicense with the US Publishers and the sales did not justify him trying to make more. Eric still has good relations with the principals at DKK and he assures me that they have not licensed anyone to make the product in any format here in the US. Further, the US publishers have not been paid either. If you want to ask why DKK (or the US publishers) are not pursuing the responsible parties for the production and sales of it, I can't answer - but obviously we wish they would do something about it. And they might some day.
Thanks. This clears up the mystery that many of us have been wondering about, then. So I imagine then, that it's DKK themselves that currently own the rights to the catalog.

Actually, DK is, and always has been, completely legal in the UK- the same and only place YOU are licensed, per your own posts, because you say it's cheaper. Of course we know that the licensing isn't available HERE, as far as I know, for YOU, or DK. Anything else?

Back