What's new

What do we think: Joe Paterno

Nope, shut it down. Penn State put their football program above everything else.

Do you think the school culture would have let, say, the men's fencing coach molest kids on campus for 10 years? Or the diving team's coach? Fat chance.
That school worshipped Paterno & the football program, nary a bad word could be said against them. No one dared to rock the boat, no matter what.

What do you guys think the crowd will be like at the game tomorrow? I know the ratings are gonna be crazy big - Nebraska's football dept supposedly didn't want to play because they were afraid of an angry mob atmosphere - should be interesting.

What do you guys think the crowd will be like at the game tomorrow? I know the ratings are gonna be crazy big - Nebraska's football dept supposedly didn't want to play because they were afraid of an angry mob atmosphere - should be interesting.

I think that the school (Penn State), sent out a mass email to all students suggesting a vigil which they did for the victims tonight on campus. I think that this will help to rebuild the image of the students/campus since they rioted the night before. Maybe the school they are playing tomorrow won't feel so intimidated??? I think the crowd will be that of a regular football game but I think they wanted the vigil to show more focus on the real issue...the victims.

Sports in moderation is fine, but the craziness at Penn State is out of proportion to reality. Their belief that football is more important than anything else is at a koolaid level of cult insanity.

not really insane at all. practical. practical and greedy.

their football program generated over $50 million in revenue last year

and that same football program paid for numerous other sports, academic and facility expenses

i think this cover-up is first and foremost about money and not loosing the commitment of big benefactors

Penn State (in 2007-2008) made 91+ million on football alone. They were number 6.

1st Texas $120,288,370
2nd Ohio State $117,953,712
3rd Florida $106,030,895
4th Michigan $99,027,105
5th Wisconsin $93,452,334
6th Penn State $91,570,233

Its not so much about the sport, as that is a huge money maker. It is more about turning a blind eye to what was happening. Why they turned a blind eye, who knows. Possibly loss of jobs and money? Could be, as I stated earlier. Blaming what happened on the sport itself is silly. Blaming the people who did the crimes and those that heard rumor, saw something and ignored, those are who caused the problem.

Wouldn't matter if it was football, basketball, rugby, golf or knitting teams. Its the people, not the sport.

Verrrrrrry interesting, I just read that this DA who didnt file charges went missing and his lap top minus the hard drive was recovered in the river. Was just recently pronounced dead but no body ever found.....:surrender:

well, well, well

this little tidbit of the story is finally getting a bit of the press i wouldve expected

although, so far the take is that the DA mightve taken his own life out of shame for not doing the right thing and following thru on the case

I don't get what your point is here? :dunce::dunce:

It sounds a little bit like you are somehow blaming the parents of the victims? Like they weren't involved with their kids enough to know something was going on?

Geez, I hope I'm getting the wrong impression from this statement. Can you clarify please?

No. I think sports are fine. You have to be involved with your kids. Whether you are a single mom/dad or not. You must be involved.

No, not saying the parents are to blame. Nor the victims. Was not the meaning at all.

I don't get what your point is here? :dunce::dunce:

It sounds a little bit like you are somehow blaming the parents of the victims? Like they weren't involved with their kids enough to know something was going on?

Geez, I hope I'm getting the wrong impression from this statement. Can you clarify please?

I am going to go out on a limb and attempt to be very clear. It is my opinion that the parents of children who are molested do bear some responsibility.

Life is hard. Single parenting is even harder. But that is no excuse for ignoring warning bells going off RIGHT IN YOUR FACE. As a parent of young boys, there are just things I wouldn't allow. At the very simplest, there is no reason for a young boy to be traveling (EVEN TO FUN SPORT EVENTS) unaccompanied with an adult unrelated male and stay overnight at hotels.

I could go on all day but the parents in this case (excepting the lady who did call the authorities) all bear some responsibility here as well.

IMHO.

well, well, well

this little tidbit of the story is finally getting a bit of the press i wouldve expected

although, so far the take is that the DA mightve taken his own life out of shame for not doing the right thing and following thru on the case

Suicide or murdered, not enough proof to know which it was.

If only he had prosecuted Sandusky back then...

***Disclaimer- I do not wish to debate the validity of this statement. Just something else to think about.***

BUT-

What if it turns out that McQueary made up the story about seeing Sandusky? (Does anybody think these names should be reversed? :surrender:)
What if the reason nothing was done (wasn't prosecuted) because nothing happened?

Fixed it for ya!

***Disclaimer- I do not wish to debate the validity of this statement. Just something else to think about.***

BUTT-

What if it turns out that McQueary made up the story about seeing Sandusky? (Does anybody think these names should be reversed? :surrender:)
What if the reason nothing was done (wasn't prosecuted) because nothing happened?

BUT-

Did you read the grand jury report?

Seriously? There is WAY more going on here than McQueary. There was another man who WITNESSED a child receiving oral sex from Sandusky in the same shower.... Others saw suspicious things that corroberated the victims' stories. That's what makes this case especially profound and sad...many had reason and chance to do something and did not.

McQueary testified to the grand jury that he told Paterno that he saw Sandusky raping what he thought was a ten year old boy. The other guys (being lazy, don't feel like looking up their names) said that Paterno told them McQueary saw him fondling a kid in the shower and horsing around.

If this is true then Paterno is just as guilty of the cover up. He did not give his superiors all of the facts and is complicit in the cover up.

Did I miss this earlier in the thread? sorry if it's been said but Sandusky's house is located right next to an
elementary school............................so.................unbelievably.......................sad

:faint:

I can't even formulate words for this.

I am going to go out on a limb and attempt to be very clear. It is my opinion that the parents of children who are molested do bear some responsibility.

Life is hard. Single parenting is even harder. But that is no excuse for ignoring warning bells going off RIGHT IN YOUR FACE. As a parent of young boys, there are just things I wouldn't allow. At the very simplest, there is no reason for a young boy to be traveling (EVEN TO FUN SPORT EVENTS) unaccompanied with an adult unrelated male and stay overnight at hotels.

I could go on all day but the parents in this case (excepting the lady who did call the authorities) all bear some responsibility here as well.

IMHO.

Did I miss this earlier in the thread? sorry if it's been said but Sandusky's house is located right next to an
elementary school............................so.................unbelievably.......................sad

So typical.
May be I watched too much of SVU reruns, don't they always choose to work/live near children? Few nights ago I was watching an episode of Criminal Mind, one of the pedophiles was an elementary school principal!

Back